1. Family Custody issues

    Parenting includes contact with a child, guardianship, parental responsibilities, and parenting time (BC Family Law Act); and access and custody (federal Divorce Act), and covers who has the right and responsibility to make decisions about the child, and guardians' and non-guardians' time with the child.

    If you've tried to resolve your family law problem but need some help, some of the following services may help you work out an agreement or apply for court orders.

  2. Landlord/Tenancy issues

    Understand your rights and responsibilities at the start of a tenancy, during a tenancy and when ending a tenancy.

    Do a bit of research to find out about decisions the Residential Tenancy Branch has already made for claims that are similar to your issue. This will help you understand what arbitrators consider when making decisions and what evidence is important to submit. For more info, visit: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/residential-tenancies/solving-problems

  3. Dispute with a Neighbour

    They say you can’t choose your family or neighbours... Neighbour dispute are often based on conflict, originating from a civil disagreement (i.e. dispute over land, noise complaints, untidy homes, secondhand smoke etc.) If there is an imminent risk for anyone’s safety, please call 9-1-1. If not, please visit the following links to help solve your conflict

    • Neighbor Law - The Dial-A-Law library is prepared by lawyers and gives practical information on many areas of law in British Columbia
    • Mediate BC - Committed to providing people with practical, accessible, and affordable choices to prevent, manage and resolve disputes
    • Dialogue and resolution services - Conflict management and communication courses and workshops


  4. Peace Bond /Family Law Protection Orders

    What are peace bonds and family law protection orders? All protection orders, including peace bonds and family law protection orders, list conditions set by a judge for one person to follow that are meant to protect someone else. Most often, they require the person to have no contact or limited contact with the person being protected.

    If you are in immediate danger:

    Call 9-1-1.

    If you aren’t in immediate danger, but still fear for your safety (you’ve been threatened or experienced violence in the past, or you fear for your or your children’s safety in the future):

    • ask your local police or RCMP for assistance to get a peace bond, or
    • apply to court for a family law protection order

    Requesting a Peace Bond:
    Call your local police or RCMP and tell them that you need a peace bond. A police officer will ask you to describe what has happened to make you feel afraid or in danger. Tell the officer if you have kept any notes about past incidents, if you have received any threatening letters, voicemails, or online messages, or if there is anyone who saw your partner being violent or threatening you.

    If the police officer agrees that you have good reason to be afraid, the officer will send a report to Crown Counsel outlining your situation and why you need the protection of a peace bond.


Date de modification :